Mind the (Purchase) Gap
Online commerce has become a goliath of an industry. Thanks to today's technology it's much easier to reach audiences all over the world, no matter where you are. This presents an amazing opportunity for anyone attempting to promote or sell products in some of the world's largest storefronts, like Amazon and iTunes.
What users see if they click a link outside of their local storefront.
However, this opportunity does have some hurdles to overcome:
- There are multiple paths across devices, operating systems, and countries that your traffic can take to get to the item you're promoting. Sending them to the wrong destination means a loss of purchase.
- Example: sending Android users to buy items from the iOS App Store, or sending a US user to amazon.co.uk.
- Amazon, iTunes, and App Store marketplaces are actually separate, country or region-specific stores, each typically with their own accounts, language, and currency. Sending users to a foreign storefront, instead of their local storefront, often means it's unlikely they'll purchase and might even see an error message instead.
- If you're utilizing the Amazon Associates Program, you only make commissions off of the single country you're sending traffic to, and not from any international traffic.
All of these issues add up to create something we call the Purchasing Gap, which is the rift between the product you're promoting and where each individual person wants to purchase.
On top of the Purchasing Gap, there are some other issues that go along with promoting an item online, which can cause your product marketing to fail:
- Having no insight into your marketing campaigns, because raw product URLs don't give you any. There's no way to tell who clicked your links, how many clicks you received, or if any of your links actually triggered a sale.
- When promoting with third parties, or via email, once that promotion is sent or posted, that link can't be edited. If the link is wrong, or changes, you can't edit those promotions and your marketing is worthless.
It's a lot to overcome, but thankfully GeoRiot can help. Learn how...